Monday, October 4, 2010

Balancing Act

One suggestion from my managers that I have taken to heart is maintaining a good work and life balance.  Though I love what I do for the City, I know that having outlets outside of work helps reduce stress and prevents burnout.  Two of my biggest extracurricular activities currently include serving as the Vice President of Events for ASU's Students of Public Affairs Network  playing intramural softball.


Students of Public Affairs Network is a graduate student organization that provides social, professional development, and networking opportunities for its members.  We host happy hours after our classes on the First Thursday of the month at different venues across downtown Phoenix.  This Thursday we will be at Carly's Bistro and we are asking all that attend to bring a canned food item that we can donate to St. Mary's Food Bank. The happy hours enable students to relax, socialize, and network with fellow students after long days of work and class.  Myself and fellow SPAN officers are in the process of planning future social, community service, and alumni mixer events.  If you are interested in learning more about SPAN or joining our group check out our website http://span.asu.edu/ or facebook page. 


Intramural softball, on the other hand, is a lot of fun since I have played the sport most of my life.  Playing defense on the field and throwing the ball feels so natural despite not playing for a couple of years.  Unfortunately, intramural softball is slow pitch and during most of my softball career, I played competitive fast pitch.  Because of this, I continuously struggle with my timing when I bat.  However, the sport has taught me to drive myself to continuously improve with each practice and game.  Therefore, I feel I have the self determination to be successful in the batter's box.  It just might take a few more visits to the batting cage to get the timing right.

No comments:

Post a Comment