Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Parks Maintenance

On Monday I shadowed the Parks Maintenance Division.  Since the division consists of just two people, the experience was more hands on than shadowing Public Works.  Though there is only one city operated park, there was an event over the weekend that created a lot of maintenance work to make the facility ready for the adult softball leagues that night.  I started the day at 6 am helping inspect vehicles and equipment that would be used over the course of the day.  My first task was to use the leaf blower to clear off the sidewalks, basketball courts, and tennis courts.  It took over an hour to do this with all of the displaced gravel and trash from the weekend.  The rest of the morning was spent watering and grading the softball diamonds which I found to be more enjoyable.  I found myself appreciating my undergraduate and graduate education and the opportunities they will bring, especially while leaf blowing.  Furthermore, I have renewed respect and appreciation for parks maintenance personnel after this experience.

2 comments:

  1. What an opportunity Stacy!, now no one can tell you what it is like to do parks maintenance, you must have been super tired and also getting up so early!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an interesting experience! I will admit I dont know much about the division, but I also have a renewed respect and appreciation for parks maintennce personnel just from your short description of the work involved!

    ReplyDelete